Sieve Shakers offer consistent and repeatable separations compared to manual sieve shaking methods for particle sizing. Gilson offers sieve shakers with varied sieving motions and mesh size compatibility for particle sizing analysis of a wide range of material sizes. Matching the capabilities of a sieve shaker machine to specific characteristics of the sample material saves time and effort while providing repeatable results.
For bulk coarse aggregate separation, see our full line of Screen Shakers.
Not sure which sieve shaker you need? See our comparison chart or our blog An Expert Guide To Selecting A Shaker.
Models: SS-8R, SS-8RF, SS-12R, SS-12RF
Models: SS-15, SS-15F, SS-15D, SS-15DF
Models: SS-14, SS-14F, SS-14D, SS-14DF
Models: SS-21, SS-21F, SS-22, SS-22F
Models: SS-30, SS-30F, SS-30S, SS-31, SS-31F, SS-31S, SS-33, SS-33F, SS-33S
Models: AJ-103, AJ-103B, AJ-105, AJ-105B
Models: WV-1, WV-1F, WV-2, WV-2F, WV-3, WV-3F
Sieve Shakers for Test Sieve Particle Sizing Analysis
Click the Sieve Shaker Comparison Table above to enlarge, print, or download.
The table compares test sieve capacity, shaker agitation, and particle size range.
Laboratory shakers offer various agitation methods to ensure efficient separation of materials with different densities and textures. Agitation lifts and reorients material, allowing more opportunities to pass through sieve mesh openings. Sieving machines also provide consistent agitation of samples, improving passage of material, overall consistency, and ensuring reproducible results between tests. Select from various types of Agitation methods: circular, tapping, rotary, orbital, vibratory, sonic, or air jet. Gilson also carries a wet-sieving shaker which is popular for particle separating coal or coke.
Newer-model Gilson shakers are equipped with an easy-to-use clamping system to secure and lock sieves in place. All sieve shakers come with a mechanical or digital timer, except the 8in Wet/Dry Vibrator.
- Tapping enhances performance through aggressive circular actions and repetitive two-way tapping of the sieve stack. The tapping feature is available in a number of models with vibratory, circular, orbital, and other primary actions. Repetitive tapping reorients particles, promotes passage of near-size particles, and prevents blinding. Mechanical tapping shakers perform well with materials in a wide range of sizes and improve the passage of fines for most materials.
- Rotary rotates at an angle as multiple hammers tap against sieves to promote the passage of near-size particles. Gilson’s Rotary and Silent Sifter® models, along with the Mary Ann® sifters offer the tapping action. Rotary lab sifters work well for mineral aggregates and other materials from No. 4 to No. 635 (4.75mm to 20μm). They are preferred by many state DOT’s.
- Orbital actions mimic the motion of hand sieving and are a cost-effective choice to use with free-flowing materials. Particles are rolled around the mesh surface until they fall through an opening. These units work well with most materials ranging in size from No.4 (4.75mm) to No.200 (75μm) and come with a manual or digital timer.
- Vibratory units use electromagnetic energy to agitate particles and create a fluid bed of materials. The materials moving across the mesh optimize the number of openings tried by the sample material. This type of sieve shaker equipment performs well on most materials sized between No. 10 (2mm) and No. 635 (20μm). Available vibratory styles include 3 and 8in models, WS Tyler® Ro-Tap®, and wet-dry units.
- Sonic uses up to 3,600 sonic energy pulses per minute to oscillate an air column enclosed within the sieve stack. Continuous agitation paired with horizontal and vertical tapping reorients particles to the mesh surface for accurate separations. The GilSonic AutoSiever and UltraSiever® sonic sifters offer precise sizing of small samples of powders as fine as 5µm.
- Circular moves the sieve stack on a flat oscillating plane to evenly distribute particles around most sieve surfaces. The circular action allows particles to randomly fall through openings. Models with both circular and tapping action offer enhanced performance and efficient separation for a wider range of materials.
- Mikro Air Jet Sieve™ offers accuracy and reliable results for dry powders. These units use positive air pressure through a rotating slotted nozzle to gently fluidize samples in a single 200mm diameter sieve. Fines are collected in a canister with a vacuum system. This unit is best used for materials from No. 4 to No. 635 (4.75mm to 20μm). A Basic and Advanced model is available.
- Wet-Vac® systems are self-contained, wet-sieving particle sizing units widely used in testing applications for coal and coke. Testing with these heavy-duty systems can closely simulate production conditions. Water tanks, pumps, and spray-heads are built-in to the vibratory shakers and fines are collected in filter paper assemblies. Select from models that accommodate 8 or 12in sieves, or 8 and 12in sieve sizes.