Particle-size reduction, or comminution, is often required to prepare bulk material samples for testing. Crushing is often the initial step with materials such as mineral ores or aggregates using varying combinations of force, impact and compression to initiate fracturing in the materials.
Pulverizing further reduces particles through friction and abrasion, and yields materials in granular or powder form for testing. These operations are sometimes secondary to crushing.
Milling and Grinding produces finer, more homogenous specimens from impact, pressure, and abrasion, or through cutting actions on softer materials such as plastics or plant fibers.
- Crushers – Gilson offers jaw crushers, hammermills, cone crushers and roll crusher options, each with multiple models, and designed for performance on harder materials such as ores, minerals, coal and rock.
- Pulverizers – Pulverizers from Gilson efficiently reduce aggregate, mineral or coal sample particle sizes using grinding plates, hammermills, or centrifugal impact.
- Grinding Mills – Ball Mills, Mortar Grinders and various types of Cutting Mills and Beater Mills fall into this category. Different models can process a wide range of materials, including tough and fibrous materials like plastics, rubber and plant materials not easily reduced with typical crushers and pulverizers. Apparatus for specific tests is also featured here.
- Gilson Mixing Wheel – Ensuring proper sample preparation for materials such as coal and ore requires thorough mixing to attain consistent and accurate results.
- Mini Mixing Wheel – Designed for thorough mixing of smaller quantities of materials such as coal and ore, the Mini Mixing Wheel delivers consistent and accurate results. Can rotate up to six 8oz (237ml) sample jars.