Gilson offers a complete collection of soil testing equipment to perform ASTM and AASHTO geotechnical test methods. Geotechnical tests provide valuable information on the properties of soil mechanics that affect the strength and the stability of pavements, embankments, and other structures. Laboratory and field materials testing of soils is an important part of civil engineering design.
Geotechnical testing equipment is used to determine grain size, moisture content, and strengths at varying moisture contents. Other tests are run to measure the permeability of water or fluids in soils or to provide controls for the compaction of engineered fills.
- Proctor Compaction & Density equipment is used to determine the optimum moisture and density of soil. Compaction equipment and molds form samples to measure the compacted density and unit weights of soils. Test results are used to control the placement and compaction of soil embankments and engineered fills. Products are also available for testing relative density.
- California Bearing Ratio (CBR) equipment for use in the laboratory or field is available. CBR lab testing determines the moisture content and strength of laboratory samples. Field tests measure the strength of soils in place. Products are also available for the Florida Limerock Bearing Ratio (LBR) laboratory test. Gilson’s selection of CBR test equipment and products meet ASTM and AASHTO standards.
- Consolidation equipment tests for soil swell and expansion to predict the potential for settling under load. Gilson offers a selection of load frames, consolidometers, and other products that comply with ASTM and AASHTO test standards.
- Atterberg Limits products determine when cohesive soils move from solid to plastic and liquid phases. Liquid limit, plastic limit, and shrinkage limit tests establish the plasticity index, an important value in foundation design. Products conform to ASTM and AASHTO test standards.
- Triaxial Shear Strength equipment tests the strength of soil with confining pressures. Gilson provides a complete selection of triaxial testing cells, control panels, load frames, and accessories.
- Soil Sampling products are used to profile soil layers and collect field samples for testing and classification. Our augers and soil samplers feature models ideal for use in soil, clay, sand, and mud. Augers are constructed of carbon or stainless steel, and available in 3in or 4in sizes.
- Unconfined Compressive Strength equipment determines the compressive strength of cohesive soils in accordance with ASTM and AASHTO standards. Test equipment includes Load Frames, as well as products used for sample preparation, measuring load and displacement, and more.
- Permeability testing, or hydraulic conductivity, identifies flow characteristics of water and other fluids in soils. This equipment meets ASTM and AASHTO standards for a number of flexible-wall, constant-head, or falling-head permeability test methods.
- Direct/Residual Shear Strength test equipment includes pneumatic direct shear, dead-weight direct shear, and direct/residual shear testing machines. These machines measure the resistance of soils to direct and residual shear forces. A selection of weight sets, shear boxes, and other accessories are available for testing to size, weight, test method, and standards.
- Field Testing/Classification equipment provides visual and manual estimates of soil qualities such as moisture content, strength, density, and grain size. Soil properties indicate if the soil will be stable and perform well understructure and load. Moisture testers, dial and pocket penetrometers, shear vane sets, classification charts, meters, and more are used for accurate descriptions.
- Hydrometer Analysis of Soils measures the particle size distribution of silt and clay in the soil in accordance with ASTM D7928 and AASHTO T 88 test standards. Gilson offers soil hydrometers, sedimentation cylinders, and sample preparation equipment.
- Soil Cement test equipment measures the compressive strength of soil and cement mixtures. Soil cement is often used as a base in pavements for its strength. Test sets and components are designed for use with Load Frames and meet ASTM and AASHTO test standards.
- Load Frames manufactured by Karol-Warner are available with different strain rates. They can be equipped for many laboratory soil tests with a range of digital and analog sets. Load Frames are used in basic soil tests such as CBR, soil cement, shear strength, unconfined compression, and more.
- Load & Displacement Measurement instruments are mounted on load frames to measure force and deformation during testing. Grouped sets or individual components are offered. Select from analog sets, digital readouts, load cells or load rings, and more.
- Latex Membranes provide a waterproof barrier to prevent fluids from leaking into permeability or triaxial soil specimens during testing. Available in sizes from 1.4 to 6.0in (36 to 152mm).
- Porous Stones allow water drainage and support both ends of a soil specimen during shear strength, consolidation, permeability, and triaxial testing. Sizes range from 1.4 to 6.0in (36 to 152mm).
- Data Acquisition Software displays stress and strain values, computes data, and generates test reports for many soil and asphalt laboratory applications. Programs are available for California bearing ratio/limerock bearing ratio, triaxial shear, unconfined compressive strength, soil cement, consolidation, direct/residual shear testing, and Marshall stability tests. Software is optimized for use with two and four-channel digital readout systems. Each data acquisition module is available for a 30-day free trial.
- Specimen Measurement tools provide precise measurements of soil samples. Products include a Diameter Measuring Tape in inches or millimeters and 6 or 12in (152 or 305mm) Digital Calipers.
For more information on Soil Testing Equipment, here are our related blogs: