Soil testing is an important function of geotechnical testing and civil engineering in the design of pavements, embankments and other structures. Geotechnical testing provides valuable information on soil mechanics and materials common to soils such as silt, clay, sand, gravel or rock. Testing is critical in determining if the soil has the characteristics to support the planned construction. Procedures such as sample collection and visual classification are used to make initial determinations before further testing begins.
Gilson offers a wide selection of soil test equipment that meet ASTM and AASHTO test standards governing a range of tests. Typical tests are performed to determine grain size analysis, moisture content, and characteristics at varying moisture contents (Atterberg Limits). Other tests such as triaxial, unconfined compressive strength, permeability, compaction and density (Proctor) and direct shear testing are also frequently run. Test results are used in selecting the right foundations and paving materials indicated for constructing roads, bridges and other infrastructures.
- California Bearing Ratio (CBR) test equipment is specific for use in the laboratory or on-site in the field. Products are designed for use accordingly in each setting. CBR lab testing is primarily for determining moisture content while field tests measure strength. Products are also available for conducting the Florida Limerock Bearing Ratio (LBR) laboratory test. Gilson’s selection of CBR test equipment and products meet ASTM and AASHTO standards.
- Triaxial Shear Strength equipment is designed to test a soil’s shear strength. Our selection of products is used to ensure the safe design and construction of structures and foundations. A solid selection of load frames, triaxial cells and accessories, and control panels are available.
- Unconfined Compressive Strength equipment determines cohesive soil strength values in accordance with ASTM and AASHTO standards. Test equipment includes Load Frames, as well as products used for sample preparation, measuring load and displacement, and more.
- Direct/Residual Shear Strength test equipment includes Pneumatic Direct, Dead-Weight Direct and Direct/Residual Shear Machines. These machines measure resistance of soils to direct and residual shear forces. A selection of weight sets, shear boxes and other accessories are available for testing to size, weight, test method and standards.
- Consolidation equipment tests for swell and expansion of a soil specimen to predict its potential for settling under load. Gilson offers a selection of load frames, consolidometers and other products that test in compliance with ASTM and AASHTO test standards.
- Permeability testing identifies flow characteristics, also known as hydraulic conductivity, of water and other fluids in soils. This equipment meets ASTM and AASHTO standards for a number of flexible-wall, constant-head or falling-head permeability test methods.
- Soil Cement test equipment measures compressive strength of soil and cement mixtures. Soil cement is often used as a base in pavements for its strength. Test sets and components are designed for use with Load Frames and meet ASTM and AASHTO test standards.
- Proctor Compaction & Density equipment is used to determine the moisture-density relationship of soil. This is also known as Proctor testing. Compactors, compaction hammers and molds are used for testing compacted density and unit weights of soils. Test findings are used to control placement and compaction of soil embankments and other engineered fills. Products are also available for testing relative density.
- Load Frames are manufactured by Karol-Warner and available with different strain rates. They adapt for use with many soil laboratory tests, and are used with a range of digital and analog sets. Load Frames are used in basic soil tests such as CBR, soil cement, shear strength, unconfined compression and more.
- Load & Displacement Measurement products are used to configure Load Frames for soil testing in the laboratory. Grouped sets and individual products are available to measure load and displacement with load frames. Select from analog sets, digital readouts, load cells or load rings, and more.
- Porous Stones are used in triaxial, consolidation, permeability and shear strength testing. Sizes range from 1.4 to 6.0in (36 to 152mm). Porous stones are round or square, and support both ends of a soil specimen in testing.
- Latex Membranes provide a tight latex barrier that prevents fluids from leaking into the soil specimen during testing. Membranes come in sizes ranging from 1.4 to 6.0in (36 to 152mm). They are used with test cells in permeability or triaxial testing.
- Atterberg Limits products are used to conduct moisture tests on cohesive soils for liquid limit, plastic limit or shrinkage limit. Testing is performed to determine a soil’s Plasticity Index, a value needed to classify a soil type. Products conform to ASTM and AASHTO test standards.
- Field Testing/Classification equipment provide visual and geotechnical determinations of soil characteristics such as moisture content, strength, density and grain size. Soil characteristics indicate if the soil will be stable and perform well under structure and load. Moisture testers, dial and pocket penetrometers, shear vane sets, classification charts, meters, and more are used for accurate classifications.
- Hydrometer Analysis of Soils tests in accordance with ASTM D7928 and AASHTO T 88 test standards. Gilson offers the specific products and apparatus needed for determining the amount of silt and clay fractions in the soil. Particle size distribution of fine-grained soils is determined by measuring suspended solids in sedimentation cylinders.
- Soil Sampling products are used to profile soil layers and collect samples for testing and classification. Our selection includes a range of augers and soil samplers designed for use with soil, clay, sand and mud. Augers are constructed of carbon or stainless steel, and available in 3 or 4in.
- Specimen Measurement tools accurately measure soil samples. Products include a Diameter Measuring Tape in inches or millimeters, and 6 or 12in (152 or 305mm) Digital Calipers.