Stirring Apparatus, Soil Hydrometers, Hydrometer Sedimentation Cylinder, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, and a Constant Temperature Bath are basic equipment needed for hydrometer analysis. They meet ASTM D422 and AASHTO T 88 standards.
Tests for complete particle size distribution in soils require sedimentation methods to determine silt and clay fractions. Soil specimens are mixed in a solution of water and sodium hexametaphosphate.
- Stirring Apparatus thoroughly mixes soil samples with mixing blade.
- Soil Hydrometers measure suspended solids during testing.
- Hydrometer Sedimentation Cylinder, also called a hydrometer jar, is used with the soil hydrometers for testing suspended solids.
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate is a dry powder dispersion agent used in mixing soil sample solutions.
- Constant Temperature Bath maintains uniform temperature in hydrometer testing.