Hydrometer analysis of soil is widely used in testing distribution of soil particle sizes. Testing is performed with specific products and required sedimentation methods to determine silt and clay fractions.
Basic equipment needed for hydrometer analysis in conformance with ASTM D7928, ASTM D422 and AASHTO T 88 standards include Stirring Apparatus, Soil Hydrometers, Hydrometer Sedimentation Cylinder, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, and a Constant Temperature Bath. Soil specimens are mixed in a solution of water and sodium hexametaphosphate.
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate is a dry powder dispersion agent used in mixing soil sample solutions.
- Dispersion Cup for Stirring Apparatus with 1L capacity to hold soil samples for testing.
- Hydrometer Sedimentation Cylinder, also called a hydrometer jar, is used with the soil hydrometers for testing suspended solids.
- Stirring Apparatus thoroughly mixes soil samples with mixing blade.
- Soil Hydrometers measure suspended solids during testing. Select from models with range of 0.995— 1.038 or -5—+60 g/L.
- Constant Temperature Bath maintains uniform temperature in hydrometer testing.