Visual inspection and geotechnical classification of soils is an important primary step in the design and construction of safe, effective earthworks. Predictable performance and stability cannot be assured without accurate characterization of soil properties.
Knowing the strength, density, grain size distribution, moisture content and other characteristics of the soil before the start of construction assures that the geotechnical system will stand up to a structural foundation or paving load.
For information regarding classification and field testing of soil, read our blogs:
Our extensive selection of soil testing equipment, products, and accessories for field and laboratory use determine grain size, soil density, pH levels, penetration resistance, shear strength, permeability values, and more. Furthermore, they meet ASTM, AASHTO, and other industry standards as noted on the individual product pages.
- Soil Penetrometers are available in a variety of models designed for field or laboratory soil testing and characterization. These portable units are versatile, easy to use and provide quick and accurate results.
- Soil Moisture Testers available in Speedy™ brand and Gilson Aqua-Check gas pressure Soil Moisture Testers, portable for fast and accurate moisture results on sand, aggregates, ores, coal, soils and other materials up to 20mm particle size. The Kelway meter gives rapid, on the spot estimates of both moisture and soil pH.
- Soil Density for field testing compacted earth fills, performing sand cone density testing of soils, including coarse soils and gravels or other density tests. We offer a wide selection of testing tools, apparatus, and accessories meeting required ASTM and AASHTO standards.
- Pocket Shear Vane Set with ASTM-pending status. the Pocket Shear Vane for field or lab use provides approximate shear strength of cohesive soils. Extensive laboratory testing has indicated a close correlation with unconfined compressive strengths.
- Geotechnical Classification Charts are convenient to carry and assist in the field for identifying grain size and shape using the Unified Soils Classification System (USCS). Munsell Color Charts offer an easy, standardized way to describe colors.
- Soil Classification Set is a portable field kit and provides all the charts, resources, and tools needed for visual classification and preliminary field testing of soil and rock.
- Double-Ring Infiltrometer is particularly effective in-field measurements of fine-grained soils, and gauges infiltration rate of water and other liquids. Findings indicate leaching, drainage, irrigation requirements, liquid waste disposal, and more.
- Soil Resistivity Testing equipment includes meters that use the Wenner 4-Pin Method developed by the National Bureau of Standards to determine average resistance values in soil. A complete test kit with cables and electrodes is available to perform a standard survey is also available.
- Portable Turbidity Meter Kit used to take turbidity values that indicate the number of particles suspended in water. A hand-held, portable meter meeting EPA standards for drinking water testing provides accurate and quick measurements.
- Digital pH Meters for identifying pH levels in soils, which is important to determine potential corrosive effects from the soil on pipes, cables, and other buried structures. Digital pH Meters are convenient to carry, easy-to-read, and come in a compact portable unit and pen-size model.
- Calcium Carbonate Content Chamber is used for testing the calcium carbonate content of soils and is often utilized in the analysis of marine soil specimens.
- Soil Density Volumeter is designed for portability and quick measurements of cohesive soil density. Its calibrated cylinder has a 30cm³ capacity.