Soil Penetrometers are designed for laboratory or field testing of cohesive soils used in constructing or filling pavements, embankments and foundations. They determine characteristics such as unconfined compressive strength, shear strength and more. Gilson’s soil penetrometers offer solid performance and reliable results, with a selection of products to fit a range of tests and test standards.
- Soil Pocket Penetrometer is made of corrosion-resistant stainless steel and performs well in field or laboratory testing. It measures unconfined compressive strength of cohesive soils. It is also known as a hand penetrometer. OSHA lists the device in its 2014 Classification of Soils for Excavations as a piece of equipment required for manual testing. An Adapter Foot Attachment expands probe diameter of the penetrometer to one inch for 16 times the piston area.
- Pocket Shear Vane Set is used for quick, accurate determinations of approximate shear strength of cohesive soils. It is designed for use in the lab or field on a 2in (51mm) dia. flat surface. The set includes a manually rotated driver, vanes in varying ranges and a carrying case. ASTM status is pending.
- Pocket Geotester measures unconfined compressive strength of soil. Values are displayed on a dial gauge in tsf or kg/cm2. The kit comes with a standard 0.25in (6.35mm) diameter penetration plunger. It also includes plungers in diameters of 10, 15, 20 and 25mm for a range of testing.
- Static Cone Penetrometer is a hand-held device used with a penetration cone. It is used to evaluate factors such as compaction, consistency and bearing capacity of foundations and pavement subgrades.
- Dynamic Cone Penetrometers are used in the field for determining shear strength of soil. They are available in sets with a single or dual-mass hammer and other components. The single-mass set performs well in soils with CBR values from 10 to 100. The dual-mass hammer set is suited for CBR values of 0.5 to 100. Optional extension rods allow these units to determine shear strength in the field up to 6ft (1.8m) deep. Meets ASTM D6951 test standard.
- Proctor Penetrometer Set is used in testing penetration resistance of fine-grained soils in accordance with ASTM D1558 test standards. The set includes nine threaded needles which are interchangeable.