Atterberg Limits testing is a group of tests used to define the properties of cohesive soils at different moisture contents. Gilson carries all the equipment needed to perform liquid limit, plastic limit and shrinkage limit tests in accordance with ASTM D4318 and ASTM D4943 standards, and other associated test methods.
Liquid Limit is the water content at which soil changes from a plastic to a liquid state as determined by testing in a Liquid Limit machine. Plastic Limit is the water content when a soil can no longer be rolled into 1/8in (3.2mm) diameter threads without crumbling. Plastic Limit is subtracted from Liquid Limit to establish the Plasticity Index, (PI) an important value when classifying soil types. Shrinkage limit is the water content where further loss of moisture does not cause a decrease in volume of a specimen.
- Plastic Limit Roller meet ASTM D4318, AASHTO T 90 and TEXAS 105-E requirements. The patented design saves time and provides more consistent results compared to hand-rolling of soil specimens.
- Liquid Limit Machines are available in either automated or hand-crank versions and with or without counter. All contain a brass cup, carriage for control of drop and a set of plastic casagrande grooving tool.
- Liquid Limit / Plastic Limit Test Accessory Set contains all the lab tools and items needed to conduct liquid and plastic limit tests in accordance with ASTM D4318.
- Atterberg Limits / Grain Size Accessories include spatulas, wash bottles, mortar & pestles, evaporating dishes, sample containers and graduated cylinders which are all used to prepare dry soil samples by breaking up agglomerates.
- Shrinkage Limit Set is a complete, all-in-one kit with all the necessary equipment to determine shrinkage properties of cohesive soils.
- Soil Grinder an alternative method from the traditional mortar/pestle which offers a less labor intensive way for reducing agglomerations of caked soil to single grains for Atterberg Limits or Grain Size tests.