Gilson’s versatile soil Load Frames measure the mechanical properties related to specimen strength and displacement and are suitable for numerous geotechnical and construction materials testing applications.
Models: HM-397B, HM-397BF
Click the Load Frame Comparison Table above to enlarge, print, or download. The table indicates force capacity and strain rate for common geotechnical testing applications.
The load frames in this series are designed to work with a variety of digital and analog sets and other ancillary products, ensuring each testing lab can create a test system that meets specific needs. A simple change of components easily adapts the unit for different testing procedures or data acquisition requirements.
Models have a force capacity of 10,000 or 20,000lbf (44.5 and 89kN) with 11.9x37.3in (302x947mm) WxH frame openings. The Platen diameter is 8in (203mm). Units run on 1/8, 1/4, or 3/4hp DC motors, and controllers regulate strain rates to ±1% of set point. Sturdy, 14-gauge powder-coated steel enclosures have adjusting nuts on the 1.25in (32mm) coarse-threaded rods to quickly adjust the horizontal cross-head height.
For more information, read our blog Build The Optimal System For Your Geotechnical Applications.
- Load Frame, 0.001—0.1in/min, 10,000lbf features a jog function that increases the speed of platen to the maximum speed of the load frame jackscrew, allowing for faster set-up.
- Load Frame, 0.0001—0.3in/min, 10,000lbf has a micro-stepping drive controller that allows more precise control of loading rates.
- Load Frame, 0.00001—0.29999in/min, 10,000lbf features a greater strain rate allowing for testing of sensitive soils as required for CBR/LBR, Unconfined Compressive Strength (UCS), Soil Cement, and Triaxial data collection. Its jog function allows for increased platen speed and the micro-stepping drive controller precisely controls load rates.
- Load Frame, 0.00001—0.29999in/min, 20,000lbf features an enhanced strain rate sensitivity and a higher 20,000lbf (89kN) capacity.
- Load Frame, 0.02-2.0in/min, 10,000lbf allows for the use of a wider range of test methods. Digital and analog components that attach to the Load Frame are available for UCS, CBR, Soil Cement, and Triaxial testing.
Common testing applications, data collected, and applicable equipment used with Gilson’s Load Frames include:
- California Bearing Ratio (CBR), Limerock Bearing Ratio (LBR): Soil compaction and moisture susceptibility using data readout, load cell, displacement transducer, and penetration piston. An analog CBR component set is also available.
- Unconfined Compressive Strength: Compressive strength and the stress-strain relationship of cohesive, unconfined soil using analog unconfined compression component set or four-channel data readout, load cell, and displacement transducer.
- Compressive Strength of Molded Soil-Cement Cylinders: Unconfined compressive strength of molded soil-cement cylinders using data readout, load cell, and displacement transducer.
- Triaxial Compression Test on Cohesive Soils: Strength and the uncorrected stress-strain relationship of Unconsolidated Undrained (UU), Consolidated Undrained (CU), Consolidated Drained (CD), or unconfined soil using data readout, and load and displacement kit.
For more information on Soil Testing, here are our related blogs: