Direct / Residual Shear Strength
Pneumatic Direct/Residual Shear and Dead-Weight Shear Machines by Karol-Warner measure resistance to lateral shear forces applied to a soil specimen. Selected models also measure residual shear forces. All meet ASTM D3080 and AASHTO T 236 requirements.
- Pneumatic Direct/Residual Shear Machines – These self-contained units feature the CONBEL® loading system using pneumatic pressure for application of vertical loads from 4-100lb (0.018 to 0.44kN), or up to 1,500lb (6.67kN). They are available outfitted with digital or analog instrumentation for measurements of force and displacement and evaluate direct and residual soil shear strengths up to 1,500lbf (6.67kN).
- Dead-Weight Direct/Residual Shear Machine – This compact machine provides direct and residual shear testing of undisturbed and remolded soil samples, and is built to withstand a harsh laboratory environment. It uses a 10:1 mechanical beam device and manual weights to apply vertical confining loads.
- High Capacity Geosynthetic Direct Shear Machine – Measures total resistance to horizontal shear forces of 12in (305mm) square soil or soil/geosynthetic samples. Models available with pistons that can generate loads up to 45 or 90kN (10,000 or 20,000lbf).
- Shear Boxes for Direct/Residual Shear Machines – Available in round or square configurations, and in a range of inch or metric sizes, these accessories allow opposing shear forces to be applied to soil specimens that have been carefully trimmed to fit.
- Direct Shear Accessories – These include porous stones, cutters and extruders used with correlating-sizes of Shear Boxes. These items are available in a range of metric and inch sizes, in round and square shapes.
- Weight Sets – Used in dead-weight consolidation or direct shear soil testing and are available in pound or kilogram sets. Sets are comprised of individual weights of sequential sizes.