Whether testing in the field or lab, Gilson has the equipment, apparatus and accessories you need to perform accurate soil moisture-density relationship (Proctor Compaction) tests.
ASTM standards D698 and D1557, Laboratory Compaction Characteristics of Soil and AASHTO standards T 99 and T 180, Moisture-Density Relations of Soils – all commonly referred to as Proctor Tests – are widely used in projects to control placement and compaction of soil embankments and other engineered fills. Products offered in this Proctor Compaction & Density category will keep you compliant with ASTM, AASHTO and other relevant test methods.
- Mechanical Soil Compactors – For Standard and Modified Proctor compaction and preparation of California 216 samples, these Mechanical Soil Compactors feature automatic counting of hammer blows and shutoff upon reaching a preset number. Indexing turntable positions the mold for the next hammer drop, insuring optimum distribution of compaction energy. These units increase accuracy and repeatability, and are easy to use, safe and reliable. Models accommodate 4in or 6in Soil Compaction Molds for Standard or Modified Proctor tests.
- Soil Compaction Molds – In addition to soil Proctor Density tests, Gilson’s Soil Compaction Molds are used with the California Bearing Ratio (CBR) and Florida’s Limerock Bearing Ratio (LBR) tests. Molds are sold as complete assemblies or as individual components for Density, CBR and LBR testing.
- Manual Compaction Hammers – Available in 5.5 or 10lb masses for Standard or Modified test methods, Gilson Manual Compaction Hammers feature advanced design and stainless steel construction to compact soil specimens into soil molds.
- Pocket Penetrometer – This hand-held Pocket Penetrometer is used in the field or lab for classifying cohesive soils, and provides instant estimates of unconfined compressive strength. OSHA requires its use for trenching and excavation inspections.
- Proctor Penetrometer Set – Used for measuring penetration resistance of fine-grained soils during laboratory Proctor density testing, the Proctor Penetrometer Set meets ASTM D1558 Standards. This unit is supplied with interchangeable threaded penetration needles and wooden storage box with carrying handle.
- Relative Compaction Test Set – Used to compact specimens using the California 216 impact method, the Relative Compaction Test Set is for field and laboratory determination of maximum wet density of soils and aggregates.
- Sample Ejectors – Available in two styles, one for 4in molds only and the other for both 4 and 6in molds, our Sample Ejectors feature a 12,000lbf (53.4kN) capacity. Simple operation easily extrudes compacted soil or asphalt specimens.
- Hydraulic Sample Extruder – This extruder offers one-stroke continuous extrusion using a hydraulic drive system. Damage to sensitive undisturbed soil samples is eliminated. It can be bolted to a benchtop or mounted on the optional Extruder Stand.
- Adjustable Soil Trimmer – Designed to trim soil samples to a specific testing size, the freestanding Adjustable Soil Trimmer prepares samples from 1-3in (25-76mm) in diameter and up to 7.5in (190mm) long. It can be used in tandem with the hand-held Adjustable Wire Saw Soil Trimmer.
- Relative Density Apparatus – Gauges, mold and funnel sets, and vibrating tables are geared to determining relative density of granular soils that typically do not respond well to Proctor moisture-density tests.
- Soil Cement Apparatus – Soil Cement Apparatus is used to mold specimens of soil and cement mixtures using a dropping-weight compactor before completing testing for unconfined compressive strength.
- Stainless Steel Straight Edges – Available unmarked or with laser-engraved graduations, Gilson Stainless Steel Straight Edges are used for trimming and leveling specimens, in accordance with many ASTM and AASHTO concrete and soil test methods.