The Rice Test for Specific Gravity of Asphalt is a common test that measures the Theoretical Maximum Specific Gravity (Gmm) of asphalt specimens. The test is an integral part of quality assurance of asphalt mixtures. Free and entrapped air is removed from the asphalt sample to prepare for the test. The prepared sample is then weighed immersed in water.
Gilson offers a wide selection of equipment and products to prepare for and conduct the Rice Test in accordance with ASTM and AASHTO standards, and ensure the correct asphalt mixture with minimal variability.
- Rice Test Shaker for Specific Gravity & Asphalt Rice Test agitates the pycnometer in preparing asphalt sample for Rice Test to remove entrapped air. Meets several ASTM and AASHTO standards.
- Digital Absolute Pressure Manometer for measuring vacuum that is applied to sample during deairing. It meets ASTM D2041 and AASHTO T 209 standards.
- Autorice™ Digital Manometer/Controller System is a time-saving apparatus used with Rice Shaker and Pycnometer units in testing theoretical maximum specific gravity of hot-mix samples. Available with or without SGA-128 PumpSaver.
- Pycnometers available in 2,000, 4,000 and 6,000g capacity for determining accurate measurements of specific gravity of bituminous paving mixtures.
- Oilless Vacuum Pump removes free air from asphalt sample in preparing for the Rice Test. The pump meets ASTM and AASHTO standards for specific gravity and other test applications.
- Drierite Laboratory Air/Gas Dryer used during the deairing process to prevent water from entering the vacuum pump.
- Specific Gravity Bench for weighing of samples suspended in a water tank or with weighing cradles to determine relative density of bituminous mixtures.
- Specific Gravity Water Tanks available in 30 or 44gal capacity and used in weighing bituminous mixtures to determine relative density.
- Density Weighing Cradles for suspension weighing to determine specific gravity or bulk density of asphalt or aggregates. Can also be used with pycnometers.
- EZ Mount Heater/Circulator used with Specific Gravity Water Tank to achieve circulation and temperature range needed in testing specific gravity.
- Heater/Circulator provides accurate temperature control for water tanks and baths up to 7.4gal (28L) capacity. Has 1,100 Watt heating capacity.
- No. 8 Stainless Steel Wire Mesh Basket suspends aggregates and other materials for weighing in water.
- 3/8in Clear Reinforced Vinyl Tubing for use in the laboratory with vacuum applications.
- Asphalt Bulk Specific Gravity Device is a computer-driven system that offers speedy and accurate determinations of bulk specific gravity in 4 and 6in (102 and 152mm) asphalt samples.