The SGA-5R Gilson Rice Shaker for Specific Gravity & Asphalt Rice Test performs consistent, automatic agitation of Asphalt Rice Test vacuum pycnometers for deairing, freeing lab technicians for other duties. It is also a useful deairing device for specific gravity tests of fine aggregates (ASTM C128) and soils (ASTM D854), as well as sample preconditioning per ASTM D4867 and AASHTO T 283.
For information regarding proper set-up for the Rice Test, read our blog post, Specific Gravity of Asphalt and Aggregates: What Equipment Do I Need?
The Rice Shaker features a built-in 0-99 min., 59 sec. digital timer with ±0.25 second accuracy, a vibration speed controller and a three position switch for manual or timed operation—all front panel mounted for easy use. Variable speed settings closely control agitation to avoid stripping of asphalt.
Gilson's exclusive EZ Clamp System quickly secures pycnometers. Push the buttons, slide into place and a quick twist secures the container. The rugged painted-steel case has non-slip rubber feet, eliminating the need for mounting. Adapter sets for the SG-16A and SGA-18A Aluminum Pycnometers are included. SGA-8 Adapter set fits various size Filter Flasks, Volumetric Flasks, LeChatelier Flasks and Mason Jar Pycnometers. SG-15 6,000g Pycnometer works well in mixes with aggregate size of up to 2in (51mm); SGA-7 Adapter Set required for its use.
The SGA-5RT version has modified vibration characteristics to meet Texas DOT requirements.
- Repeatable agitation for Asphalt Rice Test and other specific gravity deairing operations
- Variable vibration control allows for setting optimum agitation
- Automatic operation minimizes operator error and frees technician from hand agitation
- Rice Shaker for Specific Gravity & Asphalt Rice Test
- Fitted top and bottom Adapter Plates for SG-16A and SG-18A Aluminum Pycnometers