Compressive or flexural strength of concrete is easily measured in a number of ways for different types of specimens. Gilson Compression Testing Machines are the stiffest in the industry and meet or exceed ASTM C39 requirements and ACI 368 recommendations for rigidity.
We offer a full line of concrete compression testing machines and related accessories to determine flexural beam strengths, deformation and strain, and more. Gilson also features a complete selection of accessories for capping and end preparation of strength specimens, as well as instruments for strength estimates of hardened concrete in the field.
- Concrete Compression Testing Machines – Concrete Compression Testing Machines are available with total capacities from 250 to 500Mlbf (1,112 to 2,224kN) equipped with our Pro or Pro Plus Controllers. Each series also offers several models with a range of capabilities for testing different sample types. An informative video and comparison chart of Concrete Compression Testing Machines is included on this page, as is a chart comparing the Pro and Pro-Plus Controller.
- Attachments & Accessories for Concrete Compression Machines – Numerous attachments and accessories for Gilson Concrete Compression Machines allow different tests to be performed on concrete specimens. All Attachments and Accessories are compatible with the MC Series models listed, and comply with relevant ASTM and AASHTO standards.
- Unbonded Concrete Cylinder Capping Pads and Sets – Unbonded capping uses neoprene pads in steel retaining rings as an efficient and economical alternative to capping cylinder specimens with molten sulfur. Sets and pads are available for 2, 3, 4 and 6in diameter cylinders for a wide range of compressive strengths.
- Specimen Measurement – Digital Calipers with 0-6 or 0-12in (152 to 305mm) range and Diameter Measuring Tape, available in Inches or Metric, offer ease and accuracy of measuring length, diameter and circumference of concrete specimens.
- Vertical Cylinder Cappers – Three models are available for 3in, 4in, and 6in (76, 102 and 152mm) diameters and meet AASHTO T 231 and ASTM C617 standards.
- Gilson Gray Iron 9000 Capping Compound – The improved, low-odor sulfur mortar capping compound ensures even load distribution during concrete strength testing. It features faster melting times and a lower optimum pour temperature. Orders of 40 or more bags receive a per bag reduced price.
- Vitrobond Ingot, Capping Compound – This easy-to-handle sulfur-based dark gray compound melts and pours smoothly for consistent results. Pieces break easily for melting to pouring temperatures of 280°-300°F (138°-140°C). Orders of five or more cartons receive a per carton reduced price.
- Compressometers – Compressometers come in two sizes, 6x12in or 4x8in, with models that have digital, mechanical dial or analog dial indicators. They measure average deformation and strain of concrete cylinders during compression testing to determine modulus of elasticity.
- Compressometers/Extensometers – Similar to Compressometers, but with a third center yoke to measure horizontal extension to also determine Poisson’s ratio, these units also come with digital, mechanical or analog dial indicators. They fit standard 4x8in or 6x12in concrete cylinders.
- Melting Pots – Available in 4, 8, 12, 20, 24 and 28qt capacities, Melting Pots are used for preparing capping compounds, wax, tars, liquid asphalt and other materials. Melting pots provide even heat distribution and feature precision temperature control for 38°—160°C (100°—320°F) range.
- Portable Beam Tester – Easily transportable, the Portable Beam Tester sets up quickly in the field for rapid checks of 6x6in (152x152mm) concrete beam specimens.
- Concrete Cylinder End Grinders – An essential tool for modern concrete labs, the Concrete Cylinder End Grinders eliminate the need for sulfur or unbonded capping of concrete strength specimens. Models are cost-effective, time-saving, reduce health and safety concerns, and can prepare four to six specimens at the same time, up to 100 4in or 6in (102 or 152mm) cylinders per day.
- Concrete Test Hammers – Concrete Test Hammers offer fast and non-destructive estimations of in-place strength of hardened concrete. The Gilson Test Hammer meets the same standards as the standard Schmidt Concrete Test Hammer and is a more economical model.
- Masonry Block Caps – Available in dimensions of 8inx16in or 12inx16in, Masonry Block Caps are a unique capping method used in compressive strength testing of masonry units, and ideal for internal quality control testing applications.
- Windsor Probe Test Systems – Used in strength evaluations for lightweight and standard in-place concretes, the Windsor Probe Systems are safe and reliable. They are available with standard or electronic measurement of probe penetration, and allow accurate and rapid determinations of the developing strength of concrete.
- Perpendicularity Verification Devices – The Perpendicularity Verification Devices (PVD’s) are new tools to verify proper perpendicular alignment of concrete cylinders during compressive strength testing. Latest revisions to ASTM C39 require verification that alignment is within ±0.5° of vertical for each specimen tested when using Unbonded Caps.
Need help determining which attachments, accessories or other products you need for your concrete strength testing applications? Contact customer service for assistance.