The popular Micro-Deval test measures abrasion resistance and durability of mineral aggregates. An aggregate sample is placed in a sealed stainless steel jar with an abrasive charge of up to 5,000g of 9.5mm diameter stainless steel balls and water, then rotated at 100rpm for two hours. Aggregate quality is determined by percentage loss in gradation results at completion. Smaller equipment size, lower sample quantities and a simpler procedure make the method easier and less costly to perform than traditional methods. The MD-2000 meets current ASTM, AASHTO, and Canadian test methods, as well as more stringent Texas DOT requirements.
Gilson’s MD-2000 Micro-Deval Apparatus is a second generation, state-of-the-art machine. A sophisticated electronic controller with optical sensing system accurately tracks test time, total revolutions and rpm of jars. Test duration may be controlled by either elapsed time or total revolutions. Jars stop within a fraction of one revolution at test termination. Jar revolution and speed data may also be used as a verification of machine performance. The jars revolve behind closed Lexan™ doors with safety interlocks so no moving parts are exposed during operation.
The Micro-Deval machine is a two-tier unit with a sturdy steel frame. Each tier carries one stainless steel 5L jar, 194mm ID, 170mm internal height with locking cover. Power to the rubber-covered rollers is supplied by a 3/4hp electric motor through a gear transmission and chain drive.
MD-2000C is equipped with a thermally protected motor to meet stricter requirements in some areas.
Slightly different equipment meeting European Standard EN 1097-1 is also available and quoted upon request.
- Effective and popular for measuring abrasion resistance and durability of aggregates
- Smaller equipment size and lower sample quantities provide a simple, cost-effective operation
- Compliant with ASTM, AASHTO, Canadian and stringent Texas DOT specifications
- State-of-the-art electronic controller precisely tracks testing operations
- LexanTM doors enclose operation for optimal safety
- Micro-Deval Apparatus (115v/60Hz or 230V/50Hz)
- Two jars
- Two sets of 5,500g abrasive charge
- Magnet to assist in removing abrasive charge after test completion