Durability and abrasion tests measure the degradation of aggregate caused by physical forces such as impact, friction, and abrasion.
Click to enlarge, print, or download
- Micro-Deval Apparatus measures the abrasion resistance and durability of mineral aggregates.
- Los Angeles Abrasion Machine is widely used as an indicator of the relative quality of aggregates when subjected to abrasion and impact.
- Durability Index Agitator measures the relative resistance of aggregates when mechanically agitated in a special washing machine.
- Sulfate Soundness Test uses repeated soaking, drying, and rehydration cycles of aggregates with sodium sulfate or magnesium to simulate damage to aggregates caused by natural freeze-thaw action.
- Slake Durability Apparatus is used to gauge the Slake Durability Index of an embankment and other such structures through simulated weather tests to determine the abrasion resistance of shale and other soft rocks used in its construction.
- Pendulum Skid Tester measures skid resistance when a rubber slider on a 20in (508mm) pendulum arm contacts a test surface.
- Accelerated Polishing Machine determines aggregate wear through the action of vehicle tires.
For more information on Durability & Abrasion, here are our related blogs: