Triaxial Load Frames and components are ideal for unconsolidated-undrained triaxial soil testing in compliance with ASTM D2850. For testing consolidated-undrained, or consolidated-drained specimens under ASTM D4767, only the HM-397 model can be used. These versatile load frames can be used for different load tests in the lab; the table below provides a good reference tool.
Click the Load Frame Comparison Table above to enlarge, print, or download. The table indicates force capacity and strain rate for common geotechnical testing applications.
Models have a capacity of 10,000 or 20,000lbf (44.5 and 89kN) with 11.9x37.3in (302x947mm) WxH frame openings. Platen diameter is 8in (203mm). Units run on 3/4hp DC motors and controllers regulate strain rates to ±1% of set point. Sturdy, 14-gauge painted steel enclosures have adjusting nuts on the 1.25in (32mm) coarse-threaded rods to quickly adjust the horizontal cross-head height.
- Load Frame, 0.001—0.1in/min, 10,000lbf with a high-speed platen advance that rapidly positions the platen for faster set-up.
- Load Frame, 0.0001—0.3in/min, 10,000lbf with micro-stepping drive controller that allows more precise control of loading rates.
- Load Frame, 0.00001—0.29999in/min, 10,000lbf features a precision strain rate allowing for testing of sensitive soils. The micro-stepping motor and drive controller precisely control load rates.
- Load Frame, 0.00001—0.29999in/min, 20,000lbf features an enhanced strain rate for sensitivity. The best choice when testing ASTM D4767 consolidated/undrained triaxial tests.
- Load Frame, 0.02-2.0in/min, 10,000lbf allows use for a wider range of test methods. Digital and analog components and sets that attach to the machine are available for Unconfined Compression, CBR, Soil Cement and Triaxial testing.