Super Air Meter (SAM) is a modified version of a conventional Type B Concrete Air Meter.
The SAM determines both the total air content and air void spacing factor of fresh concrete specimens in under 10 minutes. This rapid test can be performed in the field at the point of placement of the fresh concrete, eliminating the need to wait weeks for the results of traditional tests on hardened concrete.
The Super Air Meter provides conventional air content per ASTM C231/AASHTO T 152, and a new value called the SAM number has proven to correlate with the air void spacing. The overall quality of the air void system is based on the presence of small, well-dispersed bubbles. The spacing of the voids has proven to be a better indicator of freeze-thaw durability than total air content alone, and SAM measurements make durability much easier to predict.
For the SAM procedure, three sequential pressurizations are applied to the concrete sample. For each sequence, increments of 14.5, 30, and 45psi (1, 2.1, and 3.1bar) are applied to the concrete, and a deformation value is obtained. The SAM number is the difference between these values and correlates to the average spacing between air voids. A higher SAM number indicates increased susceptibility to freeze-thaw deterioration.
Extensive research during development shows that a SAM value of 0.20 indicates 90% certainty that the spacing meets ACI durability recommendations. Optimum spacing of air voids can also reduce the overall air content required for the concrete to resist freeze-thaw damage. This AASHTO T 395 meter is currently being used in twenty-two states in the U.S., a Canadian Province, and has been approved in Michigan and Oklahoma.
The Super Air Meter is constructed of rugged cast aluminum and features a 1/4ft³ (7.1L) chamber and reinforced cover with six stainless steel clamps. The unique electronic digital gauge is highly accurate and pre-programmed to prompt the user through the required steps.
All components are packed in a heavy-duty water-tight molded resin case with a fitted foam insert. The 14x14x27in (356x356x686mm) case features secure latches, built-in wheels, and a telescoping handle.
See our full line of Concrete Air Meters
- Quickly determines both total air content and air void spacing in fresh concrete specimens
- Eliminates the need to wait weeks for the results of standard tests on hardened concrete
- Meets ASTM and AASHTO requirements for conventional air tests
- Meets AASHTO Provisional Standard T 395 and is widely used nationally
- Prompts user through required steps with preprogrammed electronic digital gauge
- Super Air Meter
- Heavy-duty resin Carrying Case
- 5/8x16in (16x400mm) Dia.xL Tamping Rod
- Brass Calibration Vessel
- Plastic Strike-Off Plate, 12x12in (305x305mm)
- Rubber Mallet, 16oz (454g)
- Water Syringe
- Plastic Bucket
- HMA-482G CAPE System is designed to pressurize the SAM with minimal time and effort than manually pumping to each pressure.
- HMA-368 Concrete Strike-Off Bar is used to remove excess material
- Tamping Rods have hemispherical tips and are for use when consolidating concrete specimens in required tests that include slump, air content, and strength