The HM-345 Super Air Meter (SAM) is a modified version of a conventional Type B Concrete Pressure Meter that determines both total air content and air void spacing factor of fresh concrete specimens in under 10 minutes. This rapid test can be performed in the field at the point of placement of the fresh concrete, eliminating the need to wait weeks for results of traditional tests on hardened concrete.
The Super Air Meter provides conventional air content per ASTM C231/AASHTO T 152, and a new value called the SAM number proven to correlate with the air void spacing. Overall quality of the air void system is based on the presence of small, well dispersed bubbles. Spacing of the voids has proven to be a better indicator of freeze-thaw durability than total air content alone, and SAM measurements make durability much easier to predict.
For the SAM procedure, two sequential pressurizations are applied to the concrete sample. For each sequence, increments of 14.5, 30, and 45psi (1, 2.1, and 3.1bar) are applied to the concrete and a deformation value is obtained. The SAM number is the difference between these values and correlates to the average spacing between air voids. A higher SAM number indicates increased susceptibility to freeze-thaw deterioration. Extensive research during development shows that a SAM value of 0.20 indicates 90% certainty that the spacing meets ACI durability recommendations. Optimum spacing of air voids can also reduce the overall air content required for the concrete to resist freeze-thaw damage. This AASHTO TP 118-approved meter is currently being used in twenty-two U.S. States, one Canadian Province and has been approved in Michigan and Oklahoma.
The optional CAPE Tank accessory can be pre-filled with compressed air to reduce the effort required to pressurize the SAM to higher testing pressures. The tank is fitted with three inflation chucks with regulators that are easily attached to the pressurization valve of the SAM. The HM-345 Super Air Meter is constructed of rugged cast aluminum and features a 1/4ft³ (7.1L) chamber and reinforced cover with six stainless steel clamps. The unique electronic digital gauge is highly accurate and pre-programmed to prompt the user through the required steps.
All components are packed in a heavy-duty water-tight molded resin case with fitted foam insert. The case features secure latches, built-in wheels and telescoping handle.
- Quickly determines both total air content and air void spacing in fresh concrete specimens
- Wipes out the need to wait weeks for results of standard tests on hardened concrete
- Meets ASTM and AASHTO requirements for conventional air tests
- Meets AASHTO Provisional Standard TP 118 and is widely used nationally
- Prompts user through required steps with preprogrammed electronic digital gauge
- Super Air Meter
- 5/8x16in (16x400mm) Dia.x L Tamping Rod
- 12x12in (305x305mm) Brass Calibration Vessel
- 16oz (454g) Plastic Strike-Off Plate
- Rubber Mallet
- Water Syringe
- 27x14x14in (686x356x356mm) heavy-duty resin Carrying Case to house all included components
- CAPE Tank for fast and convenient pressurization