The Semi-Circular Bend (SCB) Test Fixture is used to calculate the fracture energy of asphalt mixtures from a load-displacement curve. Semicircular samples are cut from Superpave Gyratory compacted cylinders or 150mm field cores.
The MS-45 Semi-Circular Bend (SCB) Test Fixture consists of a 0.5in (12.7mm) thick steel base plate, two L-shaped roller support steel blocks, two steel rollers, and a U-shaped frame. The test fixture is mounted for loading in a Marshall Load Frame such as the MS-86 or MS-398.
A specimen is positioned with the flat side on two rollers and a load applied along the vertical diameter of the specimen. Load and displacement are measured to calculate test results. Initial roller position is maintained by soft springs and backstops, which establish the test span dimension.
- Determines fracture energy and toughness of asphalt mixtures with a maximum aggregate size of 19mm
- Mounts in most standard Marshall Stability Load Frames
- Test specimens are easily prepared from molded Superpave Gyratory samples or from 150mm field cores.
- Semi-Circular Bend Test Fixture
- MS-48 Sample Preparation Saw used for SCB samples has spring clamp to easily secure specimen with no need for adjusting the blade