Gilson's sand equivalent test equipment includes the components necessary for running the sand equivalent test. The test procedure indicates the relative proportions of undesirable clay-like fines in granular soils and fine aggregates. It is used in conjunction with the Durability Index Test which measures the resistance of aggregates to produce clay-like fines when subjected to degradation.
Components necessary to run the test meet ASTM D2419 and D3744, AASHTO T 176 and T 210, and lastly CTM 217 and 229 standards test methods.
To run the test a sample is placed in a clear plastic cylinder with the sand equivalent solution, consisting of calcium chloride, formaldehyde, and glycerin. The cylinder is then agitated by hand agitation or with Gilson's Sand Equivalent Shakers which are proven to increase accuracy. After agitating the cylinder, it can stand for a sedimentation period. Readings are taken for the clay suspension and sand level. "Sand equivalent" is the sand reading divided by the clay reading x 100.
- Sand Equivalent Shakers are available in motorized and hand-operated models for determining the portion of undesirable clay-like fines in granular soils and fine aggregates.
- Sand Equivalent Test Sets are complete kits that include necessary components including a Clear Plastic Graduated Cylinder, calcium chloride Stock Solution, Weighted Foot Assembly, Siphon Assembly, Sand Equivalent Funnel, #7 Rubber Stopper, and 3oz. (88ml) Measuring Tin.
- Plastic Graduated Cylinder is 17x1.25in (432x31.8mm) HxID, constructed of transparent acrylic, and has 0.1in graduations from the bottom of the cylinder up to 15in (381mm).
- Stock Solution is a calcium chloride solution and available in an 8oz (237ml) or 1gal (3.8L) container.
- Weighted Foot Assembly consists of a steel weight, brass foot, and sand reading indicator which is mounted on a brass rod.
- Siphon Assembly includes a siphon tube, blow tube, and stopper which transfers the working solution into the graduated cylinder.
- Irrigator Tube is 0.25x8in (6x203mm) Dia.xL and constructed of stainless steel with pinched and drilled end to meet test standards.
- Plastic Funnel has a wide mouth opening for easy transfer of specimens and solution into the graduated cylinder.
- Rubber Stopper is a #7 solid stopper used to seal the graduated cylinder during agitation.
- Tinned-Metal Sample Container has a 3oz. (88ml) volume capacity and has an approximate diameter of 2.25in (57mm).
- No. 4 Stainless Steel Test Sieve used for separating the sample, has an 8in (203mm) diameter, ASTM E11 stainless steel woven-wire cloth with a No. 4 (4.75mm) opening size, and a full-height frame.
- Wash Bottles are available with 250ml or 500ml volume capacity, constructed of polyethylene plastic, and have dispensing tube lid.
- Large Display Digital Stopwatch has click-stop controls, counts up to 24 hours x 0.01 seconds, and a large LCD display.
- Mortar and Pestle are made of heavy porcelain, the mortar has a 320ml capacity. A Rubber tipped pestle is available separately.
For more information regarding the test, check out our blog Sand Equivalent Test Method Explained: The Purpose and The Process.
For more information on Sand Equivalent Test Equipment, here are our related blogs: