Marshall Compactors are used to mold hot mix asphalt test specimens for Marshall load testing. Under ASTM and AASHTO test methods, the compacted specimens are loaded to failure to determine their resistance to plastic flow. Gilson's Marshall Compactors with options for manual or automatic and standard or indexing operation are available in a wide range of models.
Specimen diameter is determined by maximum aggregate size. 4in (102mm) diameter specimens are suitable for mixes containing aggregates up to 1in (25.4mm), and 6in (152mm) diameter specimens are used for aggregate sizes up to 1-1/2in (38.1mm).
- Marshall Compactor, Manual, 4in Mold uses a manually operated drop hammer for compaction of a single 4in Marshall asphalt specimen in a stationary mold.
- Marshall Compactor, Automatic, 4in Mold compacts Marshall specimens into a stationary 4in (102mm) mold. An automatic counter is set to control the number of blows.
- Marshall Compactor, Automatic, Heavy-Duty Rotating 4in Mold compacts one 4in asphalt specimen in a rotating mold. The heavy-duty frame reduces mechanical wear during operation. Conversion Hammer Assembly converts to use 6in mold.
- Marshall Compactor, Automatic, Heavy-Duty Rotating 6in Mold compacts one 6in Marshall specimen in a rotating mold. The heavy-duty frame reduces mechanical wear during operation.
- Marshall Compactor, Automatic, Rotating, Double 4in Molds compacts two 4in Marshall asphalt specimens at the same time.
- Marshall Compactor, Automatic, Rotating, Triple 4in Molds compacts three 4in Marshall asphalt samples simultaneously.