The ASR Detect KitTM rapidly tests for presence of Alkali Silica Reactivity (ASR) in hardened concrete. This simple procedure, developed and patented by Los Alamos National Laboratories, can be performed by field personnel with minimal training, and requires only a freshly-broken surface of sample. Costly petrographic analyses may be minimized when diagnosing concrete deterioration.
Reagents define both beginning and advanced stages of ASR by color indication. Two reagents are applied in turn to a freshly broken concrete surface and rinsed with water. The first reagent leaves a bright yellow precipitate if there are initial stages of ASR degradation. Application of the second chemical results in a bright pink stain if degradation is more advanced. Concrete with no ASR is unaffected. Test is complete in less than five minutes. Reaction stains are permanent, so there is no need for repeat testing.
- Quick and simple test detects ASR in hardened concrete
- Minimal training of field personnel required to conduct test
- Color indicators mark areas with beginning and advanced stages of ASR
- Kit contains enough reagents for up to 10 tests
- Lightweight, easy to carry
- Environmentally safe reagents
- One 60ml (2oz) bottle of each of the two reagents
- 250ml (8oz) bottle of distilled water
- Two disposable dispensing pipettes
- Pair of protective gloves and goggles
- Plastic carrying case