Gilson Rolling Thin Film Oven (RTFO) precisely measures the effects of heat and air on asphalt binder properties. The Gilson RTFO by ATS features an advanced design, solid construction, and reliable accuracy. Precision components are paired with basic controls to ensure accurate, repeatable results and straightforward operation. Gilson's exclusive rolling thin film oven is made in the USA and is CE marked. It meets all test method specifications and exceeds requirements for recovery time, which is a requirement other manufacturers have been unable to meet.
Setup and operational procedures are fast and easy with minimal training required. A built-in timer controls test times. Precision temperature control is easily programmed for test temperature of 163°C (325°F), with a maximum temperature rating of up to 200°C (392°F).
The temperature is precisely controlled to ±0.1°C with a built-in NIST Traceable Platinum Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD) temperature sensor, assuring an overall temperature uniformity of ±1°C and safe, mercury-free operation. Time from ambient to 163°C (325°F) setpoint is 20 minutes and full heat recovery is 5 to 8 minutes after loading of specimens. A thermal shutdown switch provides over-temperature protection at 215°C (419°F).
Simple programming and straightforward operation ensure minimal operator training time and avoid input errors. The CE-marked Gilson RTFO features rugged, double-wall stainless steel construction and is manufactured in the USA in cooperation with ATS. This model meets all test ASTM/AASHTO test method specifications and exceeds recovery time requirements.
A controlled flow of heated air directed into horizontal glass bottles rotating on a carousel rack simulates the short-term aging of the asphalt binder. The aged binder is further tested to predict characteristics that occur during production, handling, and paving operations.
Operating airflow of 0-5,000mL/m is indicated on the included flow meter with a range of 200 to 14,000mL per minute. A source of clean, dry compressed air at 100psi (6.9bar) is required for operation.
Soft, high-temperature silicone compression gaskets in the rotating carousel securely grip RTFO Bottles and allow easy insertion and removal. This upgraded design eliminates costly scratching and breakage of expensive RTFO bottles caused by old-style spring clamp systems.
The double-wall stainless steel case has a durable black powder-coat finish and features leveling legs for convenient benchtop operation. Access to the heating elements for cleaning and maintenance is easy with the removable bottom tray of the case. A set of eight serial numbered RTFO Sample Bottles is included with the MO-36 oven. Compare our Rolling Thin Film Oven models.
- Quick 5–8 minute temperature recovery time after loading samples
- Exceeds ASTM and AASHTO requirements
- Programmable temperature controller
- Minimal training required
- Built-in NIST Traceable Platinum RTD Sensor is mercury-free
- Platinum RTD Sensor precisely controls temperatures to ±0.1°C from 0–215°C (±0.18°F from 0–419°F)
- Double-wall stainless steel construction maintains the temperature to 200°C ±1°C (392°F ±1.8°F)
- High-temperature silicone compression gaskets securely grip RTFO bottles
- Easy-to-remove bottom tray allows for a quick change of elements or spill clean-up
- Gilson Rolling Thin Film Oven
- (8) serial numbered RTFO Sample Bottles
- MOA-6 RTFO Sample Bottle is available as additional or replacement items and individually serial numbered.
- MOA-5 RTFO Bottle Scraper is designed to fit RTFO bottles for quickly removing testing residue from sample bottles after testing.
- MOA-3 RTFO Tongs feature synthetic gripper pads for safely handling and removing hot RTFO bottles from the oven.
- MOA-10 RTFO Bottle Cooling Rack is constructed to meet ASTM requirements and accommodates up to nine RTFO bottles.