The LP-16 Softening Point Ring and Ball Apparatus determines the softening point of asphalt, coal tar pitch and other viscoelastic bitumens in the range of 30°—157°C (86°—315°F). The unit simultaneously tests two samples for optimal compliance with standard test procedures. Steel balls are placed on top of bitumen specimen disks in test rings in a bath. Temperature of the bath is increased gradually until the specimens soften and fall under the ball weight to the shelf 1in (25.4mm) below.
The LP-16 Apparatus includes two square-shouldered brass test rings, two 3/8in (9.5mm) steel balls, two brass ball-centering guide rings, an 800ml heat-resistant beaker (bath), and a brass ring holder suspension assembly with cover and shelf to fit the beaker.
- Determines softening point of asphalt, coal tar pitch and viscoelastic bitumen from 30°—157°C (86°—315°F)
- Tests two samples simultaneously for proficiency and optimal compliance with test procedures
- LP-16 Softening Point Ring and Ball Apparatus
- Two square-shouldered brass test rings
- Two 3/8in (9.5mm) steel balls
- Two brass ball-centering guide rings
- 800ml heat-resistant beaker
- Brass ring holder suspension assembly with cover and shelf