Durability and abrasion tests measure degradation of aggregate caused by physical forces such as impact, friction and abrasion.
- Micro-Deval Apparatus measures abrasion resistance and durability of mineral aggregates.
- Los Angeles Abrasion Machine is widely used as an indicator of the relative quality of aggregates when subjected to abrasion and impact.
- Durability Index Agitator measures the relative resistance of aggregates when mechanically agitated in a special washing machine.
- Sulfate Soundness Test uses repeated soaking, drying and rehydration cycles of aggregates with sodium sulfate or magnesium to simulate damage to aggregates caused by natural freeze-thaw action.
- Pendulum Skid Tester measures skid resistance when a rubber slider on a 20in (508mm) pendulum arm contacts a test surface.