The Phunque Flask is a fast, reliable method performed easily in the lab or field to determine specific gravity/absorption values of fine or coarse aggregate. Minimal sample preparation, affordable equipment and simple procedures make this test ideal for ongoing tracking of actual values without the complexity and delay of traditional lab tests. Little training is required and test results are highly reproducible between operators. Frequent tracking of these values avoids penalties, variables in pay factors and allows easier monitoring of aggregate quality and production.
An operator simply fills the Phunque (fun`-kee) Flask approximately half full of water and pours the prepared aggregate specimen into the flask, using additional water as needed to fill up into the graduated neck. The operator takes an initial reading at 30 seconds, records the weight of the filled flask, then agitates the flask. Additional timed readings of the water level take place out to 25 hours or more. This procedure can be adapted for use with lightweight aggregate and hot-mix asphalt specimens.
All versions are quality laboratory-grade glassware and include an Excel calculation sheet and a swabbing utensil to dry the neck of the flask prior to loading.
SG-26 is ideal for fine aggregate testing with a 1in (25mm) diameter neck and 2500ml capacity. Scale is readable to 0.1 grams.
SG-27 is best used for coarse aggregate and has a 2in (51mm) diameter neck with 5,000ml overall capacity. Scale is readable to 0.1 grams.
SG-28 is a set of both flasks, packaged together.
- Fast, dependable method for specific gravity/absorption values of fine and coarse aggregate
- Ideal for ongoing tracking of actual values without the complexity and cost of traditional lab tests
- Versatile solution suitable for lab or field use and adaptable for use with lightweight aggregate/hot-mix asphalt specimens
- Highly reproducible results with little training required
- SG-26 Phunque Flask for Fine Aggregate
- SG-27 Phunque Flask for Coarse Aggregate
- SG-28 Phunque Flask Set for Fine & Coarse Aggregate
- Excel calculation sheet
- Swabbbing Utensil